Friday, April 15, 2011

Spring Break, Day 4

We boarded our train to Munich and luckily we were seated together!  For the ride, I finished my book, ate my Swiss Chocolate ( :( which was dark!), listened to my ipod and updated my journal.  The Munich train station was alot more modern than the Zurich station; it reminded me of Newark Airport except with cuter shops!  We easily found the information center which directed us in the direction of our hostel.  The walk to the hostel was simple except it took about 40 minutes.  The hostel was a large, easily identifable building.  We checked in and lukcily we were able to fix the dates and number of nights we were staying since we had screwed up in Zurich.  We made our beds, checked out the hostel, and then headed out to a recomended lunch spot.  The place was pretty empty but I was able to order a cheap burger and beer so I was happy. 

After lunch we walked to the Nymphemburg Palace which was a cluster of large buildings and gardens.  In front of the palace there was a giant lake with a crazy amount of perfect looking swans.  We wanted to go to the beir garden that was near by according to the map but we weren't able to find it so we walked home. 

The hostel recomended for us to go down the street for some authentic German food.  All of the waiters wore silly German costumes.  I wanted to order bratwurst but they were out so I asked to order what a man sitting near us was eating.  It was called something insanely German but was basically roast beef and a moist bread ball on the side.  I asked another waiter what the ball was made of and he described it as a hot dog bun smushed together.  We all were laughing hysterically, still not having any idea what I was eating.  Anna and Jen had ordered Schnitzel which tasted pretty good but I'm not the biggest fan of fried food.  After dinner we planned to grab a beer at a bar across the street from our hostel.  We walked up to the bar but the door wouldn't open so we rang the belll.  The door opened and we went inside but were greeted by curious, staring eyes.  The bartender asked me something in German but Anna was desperately trying to tell me about how Jen had fallen into the door on her way inside.  Next thing I know, an old man runs over to us yelling in German then asks if we have a membership card.  We obviously didn't even know what he was talking about so he said," You must leave at once, PLEASE!" While pushing us out the door and slamming it shut behind us.  Confused we walked to another beer garden we had seen earlier in the day and went inside but it was completely empty so we left.

Once back at the hostel, Jen and I showered and got ready for bed.  We didn't think ahead to bring a different converter for Germany so Jen's blowdryer couldn't work.  Air dry my hair it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment